Leader Batteries, the leading brand of Pilot Industries, has been a front-runner in the battery industry, providing inverter batteries, E-Rickshaw batteries, and solar batteries. The company is now evolving from B2B/OEM manufacturing to direct retail and distribution, to take its products and solutions to every home in India. In this interaction with Mr. Sanjeev Aggarwal, MD, Pilot Group of Industries talks about this transition as well as the future plans that the company has in terms of growth and expansion.
1. How was 2020 for the business? What impact did the pandemic and subsequent lockdowns have on the business and the overall industry?
India is one of the most affected countries from the pandemic. It has affected not only Battery Trade but the entire economy. 2020 as an year is something which we don’t want to remember. However, on the business front, though the situation were difficult, but the trade and economy has performed actually not too bad. Initial lockdown of 2 months, had put everything standstill, post June 2020, business has picked its growth again. Technically there is a business loss of two months in the past year. if we assess the performance of the trade , the overall business is not reduced , the loss of lockdown were eventually covered up in third and last quarter of the year. we are expecting incline post vaccination and recovery from the unhealthy 2020.
2. You are an established player in the B2B market and are now foraying into Direct retail and distribution. Can you share the rationale behind this transition?
Being B2b industrialist we had enjoyed the learning, we were pioneer for many revolutionary changes in the trade and remain on top for many good years. However, Brand Building and connecting with the direct consumer, is the ultimate aspiration for any entrepreneur. This transition is from Successful industrialist to a successful entrepreneur.
3. What is your expectation from this new segment? How much are you expecting for it to contribute to your overall business?
Direct Retail and Export are our key focus area. We are aspiring 500 Cr Revenue which is eventually 50% of the total contributor to PIL Business.
4. How does the product lineup look like for the consumer segment?
We are working for developing a new, refreshed entire line up of quality products. Our key focus in domestic business is remain quality product for E-Rikshaw for mass transport. We are edge ahead than our competition and looking forward to retain the lead.
5. What is your vision for 2021? What are some of the other developments happening at Pilot Industries/Leader Batteries?
2021 is very exciting year with us. We are evolving as LEADER 2.0. all new identity of Brand LEADER, New Products with premium packaging, A Bollywood super star partnered with the brand. These are all excitement we are building for the trade and channel. We are looking this 2021 as the path breaking and year to build on further success.