May 29th, 2013 – Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) today introduced the next-generation AEC-Q100 qualified automotive LED drivers, feature-packed with the industry’s highest voltage rating, thermal shutdown protection and optimized electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) performance. In harsh automotive environments, the electronics must endure high temperatures, high voltage transient and electromagnetic interference. It is crucial for the devices to survive such conditions while reducing electromagnetic emissions. The TLC6C598-Q1 and TLC6C5912-Q1 are monolithic, medium-voltage, low-current 8-bit/12-bit shift registers designed for use in systems that require relatively moderate load power, such as LEDs. The TLC6C598-Q1 and TLC6C5912-Q1 are designed for automotive dashboard applications, including tell-tale warning lamps, instrumentation cluster, and LED illumination and control. For more information or to order samples, visit www.ti.com/tlc6c598-q1-pr and www.ti.com/tlc6c5912-q1-pr.
Key features and benefits of the TLC6C598-Q1 and TLC6C5912-Q1:
- Highest voltage rating: The TLC6C598-Q1 and TLC6C5912-Q1 have the highest rating of up to 40V on all outputs. This allows the TLC6C598-Q1 to power up to eight strings of LEDs and the TLC6C5912-Q1 to power up to twelve strings of LEDs directly connected to the automotive battery.
- Thermal shutdown protection: The TLC6C598-Q1 and TLC6C5912-Q1 offer self-protection against power dissipation, which results in better long-term reliability when low- and high-temperature demands are placed on the device.
- Optimized EMC performance: The TLC6C598-Q1 and TLC6C5912-Q1 have controlled and optimized rise and fall time for the outputs, reducing the electromagnetic emissions.
Tools and support:
A simulation model is available for the TLC6C598-Q1 at www.ti.com/tlc6c598-q1-model-pr and for the TLC6C5912-Q1 at www.ti.com/tlc6c5912-q1-model-pr. A reference design, schematic checklist, and application note are also available.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The TLC6C598-Q1 comes in two packages: the SOIC-D and TSSOP-PW 16-pin packages are available now for ordering at a suggested retail price of $0.50 in 2,500-unit quantities. The TLC6C5912-Q1 comes in two packages: the SOIC and TSSOP 20-pin packages are available now for ordering at a suggested retail price of $0.70 in 2,500-unit quantities.
Texas Instruments drives automotive innovation
TI’s state-of-the-art semiconductor products allow manufacturers and system suppliers to deliver world-class features to the automotive market. Our extensive automotive portfolio includes analog power management, interface and signal chain solutions, along with DLP® displays, ADAS and infotainment processors, Hercules™ TMS570 safety microcontrollers and wireless connectivity solutions. TI offers SafeTI™ devices designed to facilitate OEMs’ compliance with the requirements of ISO 26262, as well as parts specifically designated as compliant with the AEC-Q100 and TS16949 standards, all with excellent product documentation. Click here to learn more.
Find out more about TI’s automotive and transportation portfolio by visiting the links below:
- TI has a complete automotive cluster tell-tale LED driver portfolio. In addition to the cost-efficient, non-constant current TLC6C598-Q1 and TLC6C5912-Q1, TI’s LED portfolio includes constant current LED drivers with built-in diagnostics including TLC5916-Q1, TLC5917-Q1, TLC5926-Q1, TLC5927-Q1 and the TLC5941-Q1.
- View TI’s complete automotive and transportation portfolio: www.ti.com/automotive-pr.
- Download TI’s Automotive and Transportation Selection Guide: www.ti.com/automotiveguide-pr.
- Download TI’s Infotainment Guide: www.ti.com/infotainmentguide-pr.
- Join the TI E2ETM Automotive Community: www.ti.com/e2eautomotive-pr.
- Keep up with the latest automotive happenings at TI: www.ti.com/behindthewheel-pr.