Interview with Mr. Vishal Goyal, Senior Technical Marketing Manager, Analog and MEMS Group, RF, Sensors and Analog Custom Products, Asean-ANZ and India, STMicroelectronics at the recent MEMS briefing meeting held at STMicroelectronics, Greater Noida.
Tell us about ST’s MEMS growth in Industrial Market.
ST leads MEMS and Sensors Innovation and Application. We are no 1 in MEMS sensors for consumer and mobile and no 2 in MEMS micro-actuators. ST has already established itself as the market leader in MEMS technology for Consumer and mobile applications and fastest growing company in the automotive domain. ST MEMS sensors shipment reached 13 billion in 2017. ST is enriching its sensor portfolio to address automotive and industrial markets, while maintaining leadership in the consumer segments, and is well positioned to ride the wave of IoT and Smart Driving with its micro-actuators.
Please highlight design and technology advancement in your MEMS products.
ST´s MEMS products target a wide array of applications in computer peripherals, automotive, industrial and consumer markets.ST has already established itself as the market leader in MEMS technology for Consumer and a mobile application. ST is fastest growing MEMS sensors Company in automotive. In automotive, we have a strong position in non-safety applications such as telematics and anti-theft system. We have also entered into airbag sensor application. For Industry 4.0, ST provides a complete range of products suitable to be applied in early failure detection and predictive maintenance systems where vibration, temperature, pressure, sound and acoustics analysis are needed. Now we are strongly focusing into industrial MEMS sensor.
Tell us about Integrated MEMS sensors for IoT era.
Sensors need to fulfill a range of different requirements for different markets and multiple sensors offering is key to boost the new wave of MEMS for Automation Age. Today, the MEMS has entered the growth phase and is expected to grow further in the coming years. This market is expected to be valued at USD 18.88 billion by 2022, at a CAGR of 9.8% between 2017 and 2022.* *https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/micro-electro-mechanical-systems-mems-market-growing-at-a-cagr-of-98-during-2017-to-2022—reportsnreportscom-623881013.html
What are ST’s technology leadership in MEMS & Sensors and why customers should choose your products?
ST has innovative MEMS sensors which have strong demand in India. Secondly, ST is making things easier for its customers and start-ups by not only providing IC but also by providing solutions. ST is helping to develop strong knowledge base by providing its reference solutions and actual demos that are close to end application. We have expertise in technology and provide unique proposition such as MEMS sensor, Microcontroller, NFC and Smart meters to demonstrate our technology leadership.
What are key features of IIS3DHHC 3-axis accelerometers?
IIS3DHHC 3-axis low-noise accelerometer, first accelerometer from ST with inclinometer accuracy.
With full-scale range of ±2.5g, the IIS3DHHC 3-axis accelerometer is optimized for fine-positioning mechanisms and detecting small movements such as in advanced security sensors. Among key differences between this and typical consumer-oriented accelerometers, its ultra-low noise of 45μg/√Hz (micro-g per root Hz) allows very high resolution. In addition, the IIS3DHHC integrates analog-digital conversion, as well as digital circuitry including FIFO data storage and interrupt control. This saves external conversion components and also simplifies power management to reduce energy demand and to enable longer runtimes for battery-powered equipment.
Throw light on latest demos showcased.
- Comprehensive development kit simplifies prototyping, evaluation and development of innovative solutions.
- Complemented with software, firmware libraries and tools, including a dedicated mobile App.
- Fit snugly in your IoT hub or sensor network node and become the core of your solution.
- Complemented with software, firmware libraries and tools, including a dedicated mobile App
- ST devices: STM32L476, LSM6DSM, LSM303AGR, LPS22HB, MP34DT04, BlueNRG-MS, BALF-NRG-01D3 and LD39115J18R
- Evaluation board mounts the SPBTLE-1S Bluetooth® SMART application processor compliant with BT specification v4.2.
- Supports multiple simultaneous roles and can act as a Bluetooth Smart master and slave device at the same time.
- Battery powered solution also embeds digital MEMS microphone MP34DT05-A and 3D accelerometer + 3D gyroscope, LSM6DSL
- Comes with a SW development kit that includes the Bluetooth low energy stack, all the drivers for audio and inertial data acquisition, and button and LED management.
- Ready-to-use BlueVoice library is included as middleware
- Sample application with voice streaming over BLE to an Android or iOS device, running the ST BlueMS apps.
X-CUBE-MEMS1 / FP-CLD-WATSON1
- Sensor and motion algorithm software expansion for STM32Cube
- Includes drivers that recognize the sensors and collect temperature, humidity, pressure and motion data from the HTS221, LPS25HB, LSM6DS0, LSM6DS3, LPS22HB, LSM6DSL, LSM303AGR and LIS3MDL devices
- Running on the X-NUCLEO-IKS01A2 expansion boards connected to a NUCLEO-F401RE or NUCLEO-L476RG development board.
- Enables Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) algorithm for vibration analysis and Cloud connectivity through
BlueNRG-2 based HID profile
- Demonstration application supported by the BlueNRG-1, BlueNRG-2 development platforms (STEVAL-IDB007V2, STEVAL-IDB008V2).
- Demonstrates a BLE device using the standard HID/HOGP Bluetooth low energy application profile.
- The BLE HID mouse application implements a basic HID mouse with two buttons compliant with the standard HID/HOGP BLE application profile.
- The mouse movements are provided by the 3D accelerometer and 3D gyroscope on the BLE development platform
Vibration Monitoring for Predictive Maintenance
In industrial applications, ST has a Predictive Maintenance demo with a compact low-voltage dual motor-control evaluation board for condition monitoring and early motor-failure detection, as well as eSIM / M2M solutions for industrial and telematics applications; IO-Link to enable communications between different end devices and sensors for industrial use.