Texas Instruments’ New low-cost MSP430™ USB LaunchPad and NFC BoosterPack let developers tap into the Internet of Things (IoT)
Next-generation MSP430 LaunchPad provides more speed, memory and peripherals for low-power consumer, industrial, medical and wireless connectivity applications
Designed with input from the engineering and maker communities, Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced the highly anticipated MSP430™ USB LaunchPad Evaluation Kit and supporting ecosystem of software and support for its portfolio of USB microcontrollers. The MSP-EXP430F5529LP
Implementing USB was traditionally a complex task, especially from a software perspective. To ease development, TI’s robust MSP430 USB portfolio includes the comprehensive MSP430 USB Developers Package which contains free and open source USB API stacks, source code, sample applications and a code-gen tool to quickly configure USB applications for all MSP430 USB microcontrollers. For more information about the MSP430 USB LaunchPad and supporting MSP430 USB ecosystem, visit www.ti.com/430usb-pr-lp.
Boosting connectivity to the Internet of Things (IoT)
The added functionality of TI’s new near field communication (NFC) BoosterPack and NFCLink Library make the MSP430 USB LaunchPad a perfect starting point for IoT development. Based on TI’s TRF7970A NFC transceiver, the DLP7970ABP NFC BoosterPack gives developers a quick and easy connection via NFC for only USD $25.00. For ordering information about TI’s new NFC BoosterPack, visit www.ti.com/430usb-pr-nfc
The new MSP-EXP430F5529LP LaunchPad includes support for Energia. The community-developed, open-source integrated development environment (IDE) based on the Wiring framework enables code compatibility across TI’s Energia-supported MCU LaunchPads and BoosterPacks including the new NFC BoosterPack and recently announced SimpleLink™ Wi-Fi CC3000 BoosterPack. Developers can now leverage Energia to port code developed for these BoosterPacks and easily add NFC connectivity and secure short range wireless connectivity or Wi-Fi to applications for the IoT.
Features and benefits of the MSP-EXP430F5529LP:
- Includes the 16-bit ultra-low power MSP430F5529 MCU, with 128KB Flash, 8KB RAM, 25MHz CPU speed, integrated USB and PHY supporting USB 2.0, and integrated 12-bit ADC.
- Incorporates USB connectivity and other peripherals including serial ports for UART, I2C, and SPI controllers so developers can support the communication standard best suited for their application.
- Contains TI’s TPS2041C USB power switch and TUSB2046 full-speed USB hub that are well suited for designs using MSP430F5529 MCUs.
- Compatible with TI’s existing low-cost SimpleLink Wi-Fi CC3000, CC110L Sub-1GHz and CC2530 ZigBee BoosterPacks for multiple wireless connectivity options.
- BoosterPack XL connection standard allows more functionality and compatibility with existing BoosterPacks ecosystem and future MSP430 LaunchPads.
- Compatible with complete portfolio of existing BoosterPacks so developers can now quickly and easily evaluate functionality across TI’s broad portfolio of microcontrollers.
Pricing and availability
Developers can immediately purchase the new MSP430 USB LaunchPad evaluation kit for $12.99 USD from the TI eStore or authorized distributors. Developers ready to expand the functionality of their MSP430 USB LaunchPad can purchase numerous BoosterPacks by visiting http://www.ti.com/
Find out more about TI’s LaunchPad ecosystem and ultra-low power MSP430 MCUs:
- Get started with TI’s MCU LaunchPad ecosystem: www.ti.com/430usb-
- TI’s broad portfolio of MSP430 USB MCUs: www.ti.com/430usb-pr-hp
- White paper: Designing with ultra-low power MSP430 USB MCUs: www.ti.com/430usb-pr-wp
- Check out the MSP430 forum on the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/430usb-
- MSP430 community news, projects and forums at 43Oh.com: www.ti.com/430usb-
- Make the Switch to TI MCUs: www.ti.com/maketheswitch
- Follow TI MCUs on Facebook: www.facebook.com/
TI’s broad portfolio of microcontrollers (MCUs) and software
Leading the industry in MCUs for low-power, real-time control, safety and connectivity, TI continues its 20+ years of microcontroller innovation to offer the broadest microcontroller portfolio in the industry: Ultra-low power MSP MCUs, real-time control C2000™ MCUs, Tiva™ ARM® MCUs and Hercules™ Safety ARM MCUs. Designers can accelerate time to market by tapping into TI’s tools, software, wireless connectivity solutions, extensive Design Network offerings and technical support.