In interview with Electronics Maker, Mr. TS Shankar , Sales Director, at Analog Devices Inc talks about Analog Devices RadioVerse Technology, India’s R&D work, product innovations, key challenges and how ADI helps in accelerating sustainability with intelligent solutions.
Tell us about your RadioVerse technology.
RadioVerse technology from Analog Devices, Inc. (ADI) offers a one-stop radio design environment that simplifies the radio development process across various markets and applications. Over the last decade, ADI has consistently been at the forefront of innovation, delivering best-in-class integrated wideband RF transceivers.
The RadioVerse portfolio extends beyond a mere collection of components. It is a comprehensive design and technology ecosystem that empowers customers to overcome their most formidable radio challenges. The goal is clear: support customers in their radio design efforts by providing a spectrum of technologies, software, tools, evaluation and prototyping platforms, and even complete radio solutions. The commitment to customer success is further amplified by a global partnership network of ADI-approved radio technology providers.
Within this ecosystem, the RadioVerse ADRV904x-RD platform shines as a powerful solution for open radio unit (O-RU) reference design.Covering the optical front-haul to the RF signal chain, it provides flexibility for 4G and 5G radio design engineers to customize both hardware and software for macro and small cell RUs. This platform supports a wide range of sub-6 GHz bands and power variants, making it suitable for multi-band applications.
One of the primary advantages of the ADRV904x-RD radio platform is its ability to address critical power consumption and design challenges associated with next-generation networks. It offers a known and trusted architecture that has undergone conformance and interoperability testing in multiple O-RAN plugfests and private installations. This not only accelerates the development process but also ensures compatibility and reliability in real-world deployments.
What are the innovations in the pipeline from your India R&D centre?
Analog Devices Inc’s India R&D center, headquartered in Bengaluru, stands as one of the top three global R&D centers for the company, leading the charge in innovation and technology development. We are at the forefront of innovation across various domains, making significant contributions to the company’s global product line and addressing critical challenges in healthcare, communication, industrial automation, and energy sectors.Here are some of the key innovations and initiatives from ADI India’s headquarters in Bengaluru:
• Diverse Product Portfolio: ADI India has played a pivotal role in developing a wide range of products, including digital signal processors (DSP), complex system on chip (SoC), analog to digital (ADC) and digital to analog (DAC) precision converters, video processing, ultra-low power microcontrollers, high-speed converters, advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS), software tools, and algorithms.
• 5G Advancements: Leveraging Indian infrastructure and technologies, ADI India is actively involved in advancing the company’s 5G product and solution portfolio. This contribution spans across various sectors, including automotive, industrial, healthcare, consumer electronics, Internet of Things (IoT), security, communications, and energy markets.
• Product Success Stories: ADI India’s development of products like the ADSP-21584 processor, which is used in premium soundbars by a leading consumer audio brand, showcases its prowess in creating high-performance, power-efficient solutions that have gained recognition at prestigious events like the International Consumer Electronics Show (CES). Additionally, the ADSP-21479 DSP developed by ADI India is being utilized by a U.S.-based medical electronics company in pulse oximeters, ensuring superior performance in challenging conditions.
• Innovative Technology Stack: Analog Devices offers a comprehensive stack of innovative technology products and solutions, including 3D Time of Flight (ToF), 5G, A-B Audio Bus, Cyber Security, GaN (Gallium Nitride), IoT, LIDAR, Precision technology, Radar Systems, RadioVerse, RF solutions, Sensor interfaces, and SmartMesh. These technologies span across various industries, addressing a wide range of needs and challenges.
• Healthcare Innovation: ADI India is actively contributing to the future of healthcare by developing rapid disease detection technology that can identify and prevent the spread of diseases beyond the patient zero. This innovation holds great potential for improving public health and controlling disease outbreaks.
• 5G Leadership: Analog Devices has been a pioneer in the field of communications, contributing to advancements in 2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G. The company has played a crucial role in field testing and technology development to make 5G a reality, demonstrating its commitment to shaping the future of communication technology.
• Industrial Automation: To accelerate the development of future-proof industrial automation, ADI India offers complete system-level solutions, algorithms for data analysis, and proven reference designs for fast prototyping and customization. These initiatives simplify design processes and promote innovation in the industrial sector.
• Renewable Energy and Energy Grids: ADI’s battery management systems are helping bring renewable energy to areas without electricity. The mSure® technology aids electricity utilities in detecting tampering, extending meter life, reducing operating expenses, and enhancing revenue protection and customer service in the energy sector. This technology is critical for building more resilient and secure energy grids.
According to you what are the key challenges in industry today?
The semiconductor industry faces several challenges, but these challenges can be converted into opportunities as India aspires to establish itself as a prominent global player in this transformative field:
1. Supply Chain Disruptions – Opportunity for Local Manufacturing:
• Challenge: Supply chain disruptions have exposed the vulnerability of relying on external sources.
• Opportunity: India can use this challenge as an opportunity to strengthen local manufacturing capabilities. Schemes like PLI and DLI provide incentives for setting up manufacturing facilities, reducing dependency on external sources.
2. Rapid Technological Advancements – Leveraging Design Excellence:
• Challenge: Keeping pace with rapid technological advancements is demanding.
• Opportunity: India’s strength in design engineering positions it as a key player. By integrating design excellence with manufacturing aspirations, India can offer comprehensive services that combine design, engineering, and manufacturing.
3. Building on Momentum – Sustaining Growth:
• Challenge: It’s vital to ensure that the momentum gained is not lost.
• Opportunity: India can identify the critical factors contributing to this surge and work proactively to sustain them, thereby building a robust foundation for semiconductor manufacturing.
4. Balancing Aspirations and Realities – Learning from Successful Nations:
• Challenge: Striking a balance between aspirations and practical realities is essential.
• Opportunity: India can learn from successful semiconductor manufacturing nations like Taiwan, understanding their experiences and lessons. This knowledge can accelerate India’s progress and prevent over-promising.
5. Nurturing Indigenous Product Companies – Reducing Dependence:
• Challenge: Reducing dependence on international clientele is necessary.
• Opportunity: Nurturing indigenous product companies through government initiatives like PLI and DLI can create a local consumer base, reducing reliance on international markets.
6. Collaborations – Streamlining Processes:
• Challenge: The semiconductor industry demands precision, resources, and a skilled workforce.
• Opportunity: India can streamline its regulatory processes and create a favourable business environment. Collaborations with global players can help address initial shortcomings and expedite ecosystem development.
In conclusion, India’s journey towards establishing a self-dependent semiconductor ecosystem is multi-faceted, but it holds the potential to become a significant player in the trillion-dollar semiconductor industry. By integrating design excellence with manufacturing, leveraging global partnerships, and learning from successful nations, India can expedite its progress and overcome the challenges it faces. With determination and strategic planning, the vision of becoming a global leader in semiconductor design and manufacturing is within reach.
What is ADI’s contribution towards sustainability and improving the quality of life with technology?
Analog Devices (ADI) is committed to making significant contributions to sustainability and improving the quality of life through its ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) initiatives. Here are some key updates and progress made in line with these commitments on a global level:
• Innovative Solutions for Society and the Planet: ADI collaborates with its customers to develop innovative solutions that address critical challenges in various industries, including industrial, automotive, communications, digital healthcare, and consumer sectors. In fiscal year 2022, approximately 30% of ADI’s total revenue came from green sources, reflecting a substantial 34% increase from the previous year. Approximately 30% of ADI’s research and development (R&D) efforts were focused on green initiatives, aligning with the previous fiscal year.
• Water Conservation Goals: ADI has set a target to achieve a 50% reduction in total water withdrawal normalized to fab production output by 2027. This goal complements the company’s ongoing efforts to attain a 25% water recycling rate in its manufacturing facilities.
• Climate Responsibility: ADI has successfully reduced its absolute Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 7.2% since 2019, along with a remarkable 37% decrease in GHG emissions intensity by revenue during the same period. Notably, the company has disclosed full Scope 3 emissions for the first time, a crucial step in achieving its goal of Net Zero emissions across the value chain by 2050 or earlier.
• Renewable Energy Adoption: In 2022, 54% of the electricity used in ADI’s manufacturing facilities came from renewable sources, putting the company on track to meet its target of 100% renewable electricity by 2025.
• Waste Management Progress: ADI has made substantial strides towards its objective of diverting 100% of waste at its manufacturing facilities. In 2022, the company achieved an impressive 90% diversion rate.
• Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I):ADI is actively promoting diversity and inclusion within the company. In 2022, 25% of global managers at ADI were female, aligning with the company’s goal to increase the global female manager population to 29% by 2026.The company is also on track to enhance the representation of Black, Hispanic, and Latinx employees in the United States from 7% in 2022 to 9% by 2026.
What makes you ahead in the competition and your vision towards industry?
Our success lies in its ability to adapt to evolving technology landscapes, commitment to self-reliance, and comprehensive approach to product development. These factors, combined with a broad and diversified technology focus, contribute to our competitive advantage and align with the center’s vision for the industry.
• Broad and Diversified Technology Expertise: ADI India’s journey in India began with digital technology and has evolved to encompass mixed-signal processors, process technologies for converter products, and now RF (radio frequency) technologies for wireless applications. This diversified technology focus allows the center to stay at the forefront of innovation and address a wide range of technological challenges.
• Expansion Beyond Verticals: The spirit of innovation at ADI India extends beyond these specific technology verticals. The center continuously explores new dimensions and emerging technologies, broadening its scope to meet the evolving needs of the industry. This adaptability is a key driver of our competitive edge.
• Design in India Initiative: ADI India is aligning its efforts with the vision of “Atmanirbhar Bharat” (self-reliant India) by recalibrating its synergies towards ‘Design in India.’ This approach not only strengthens the center’s contribution to the Indian industry but also aligns with the Indian government’s vision for self-sufficiency in technology and innovation.
• Global Development Center: ADI India has established itself as a global development center for Analog Devices Inc, engaging in collaborative efforts across all ADI businesses. Its involvement spans all stages of product development, from the initial concept to silicon design, production, and application support. This comprehensive approach positions ADI India as a crucial contributor to ADI’s worldwide operations.
• Diverse Product Portfolio: ADI India’s product portfolio is extensive, covering digital signal processors (DSP), complex system on chip (SoC), analog to digital (ADC) and digital to analog (DAC) precision converters, video processing, ultra-low power microcontrollers, high-speed converters, advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS), software tools, and algorithms. This diverse range of offerings reflects the center’s commitment to providing solutions across a wide spectrum of applications and industries.