Mr. Vishal Goyal, Senior Manager – Technical Marketing, Analog and MEMS Group, RF, Sensors and Analog Custom Products, India, Asean and ANZ, STMicroelectronics spoke to EM during the recent MEMS media briefing about MEMS product growth, market trends and ST product portfolio. Excerpts from Interview.
1. Explain ST’s portfolio and strategy in MEMS for the diverse markets and applications (such as medical, automotive, industrial, and defense)? What is focus for India?
India is a land of opportunities and it is emerging as a manufacturing hub. Global customers are setting up Design and Manufacturing activities in India. This is open good opportunities for MEMS and sensors in India. We are seeing lots of interest in MEMS, Sensors, and RF amongst customers here. MEMS have seen massive growth in mobile phones. MEMS is also a key pillar in IoT applications. MEMS sensors like Accelerometers and Gyroscopes, as well as Humidity and Temperature sensors are widely used in IoT applications. A few use cases include Home Automation, Smart City, and Smart Industry. Sensor data will also enable a wide range of cloud services .In India, MEMS has wide usage. We are working in the Automotive, Industrial and IoT segments and to expand and develop the MEMS market, we need to emphasize the advantages of MEMS and offer education and training.
Highlight ST’s technical advantages in MEMS
ST is a leader MEMS and Sensors Innovation, Production and Application
- # 1 in MEMS sensors for consumer and mobile
- # 2 in MEMS micro-actuators
India has a huge potential in MEMS segment, what could be the possible trends in it?
MEMS has seen massive growth in mobile phones. MEMS is also a key pillar in IoT applications. MEMS sensors like Accelerometers and Gyroscopes, as well as Humidity and Temperature sensors are widely used in IoT applications. A few use cases include Home Automation, Smart City, and Smart Industry. Sensor data will also enable a wide range of cloud services
Share thoughts on the sales of wearable device? Do you still think it’s a growing market for MEMS?
The current market includes smartphones, tablets, cameras, game consoles and laptops. These are now present in many Indian homes. MEMS plays an important role by empowering these valuable tools with an ability to sense the external environment and act intelligently. Today, India is a big consumer of products such as Wearables, Smart devices and Mobile phones. ST is working with customers who are moving to enable production of these products in India. There are also many industrial applications, including Metering, Lighting, and Robotics. We are helping our customers to better understand how our technology can make industrial applications smarter.
Could you give a overview of ST’s products displayed
A. SandPuppy FITBELT
SandPuppy FITBELT is a smartphone-controlled, pain relief device with a deep, penetrating heat and micro-vibration for on-the-move back-pain relief. The device embeds ST’s low-power microcontroller (STM32L0), Bluetooth™ low energy (BLE) network processor (BlueNRG-MS), and a high-side driver (VN5012AK-E).
ST product inside:
- Micro-controller: STM32L051C8T6
- Access line ultra-low-power 32-bit MCU ARM®-based Cortex®-Mo+,up to 64 KB Flash, 8 KB SRAM, 2 KB EEPROM, ADC
- Bluetooth: BlueNRG-MS
- The BlueNRG-MS is a very low power Bluetooth low energy (BLE) single-mode network processor, compliant with Bluetooth specification v4.1
- High Side Driver: VN5012AK-E
- Portability – Use it wherever you go, while working, in your car or in flight
- Heating – Deep warmth with temperatures adjustable up to 60 degrees Celsius
- Micro Vibration – Adjustable vibration levels to add a soothing hum and melt away the pain
- Smart – Customize heat and vibration levels on a user friendly SandPuppy app
- Fitbelt Dimensions : Length – 45″ Width – 6.75″ Height – 0.5″ to 1″
- Comes with its own charger, mobile app, travel pouch and size extender
- Conceptualized, designed and assembled this product in India by Afferent Wearable Tech Private Limited
B. SensorTile connectable sensor node: plug or solder
STEVAL-STLCS01V1 (SensorTile) is a highlyintegrated reference design that can be pluggedinto form-factor prototypes, adding sensing andconnectivity capabilities to new designs through asmart hub solution. It can also easily supportdevelopment of monitoring and trackingapplications like standalone sensor nodesconnected to iOS™ or Android™ smartphoneapplications.
The SensorTile occupies a very small 13.5 x 13.5mm square outline, with all the electroniccomponents on the top side and a smallconnector on the bottom side to plug it onto thecradle expansion board. The connector pinout isrepeated on 18 PCB pads to render theSensorTile a solderable system on module aswell.
- Very compact module for motion, audio, environmental sensing and Bluetooth® low
energy connectivity with a complete set of firmware examples
- Mobile connectivity via the ST BlueMS app, available for iOS™ and Android™
- STM32L476 – 32-bit ultra-low-power MCU with Cortex®M4F
- LSM6DSM – iNEMO inertial module:3D accelerometer and 3D gyroscope
- LSM303AGR – Ultra-compact high performance eCompass module: ultralow
- power 3D accelerometer and 3D magnetometer
- LPS22HB – MEMS nano pressure sensor: 260-1260 hPa absolute digital
- output barometer
- MP34DT04 – 64 dB SNR digital MEMS microphone
- BlueNRG-MS – Bluetooth low energy network processor
- BALF-NRG-01D3 – 50 Ω balun with integrated harmonic filter
- LD39115J18R – 150 mA low quiescent current low noise LDO 1.8 V
- 2 V – 5.5 V power supply range External interfaces: UART, SPI, SAI (serial
- audio interface), I²C, DFSDM, USB OTG, ADC, GPIOs
- Pluggable or solderable interface
- SWD interface for debugging and programming capability
- RoHS compliant